Upgrade your chicken salad! Whether you like yours as a salad or a sandwich, you’ll really love this recipe! The addition of slightly spicy chutney along with sour cream makes this chicken salad both creamier and more complex. Even better, it’s quick and simple to make with leftover chicken!
This is the most versatile recipe. That’s why I’ve included several options to change it up.
The magic ratio is: 4-5 parts chicken : 2 parts crunchy : 2 parts fruit : ½ part nuts : ½ part onion + dressing.
Use this ratio to substitute any fruit in season, any type of onion, and any nuts you have handy.
I like to make the dressing in advance to give it time to refrigerate, then toss it all together before serving and refrigerate for an hour before serving. Delicious!!!
- Salad ingredients:
- 4-5 C Cooked Chicken, diced medium
- 1 C Sliced Water chestnuts or, Jicama, diced small
- 1 ½ C Pineapple tidbits (drained) or, chopped fruit of your choice
- 1 C Chopped celery, and/or chopped apples, unpeeled
- ½ C Sliced green onions
- ½ C Toasted slivered almonds
- To garnish: 1 can Chinese noodles, 1 pint fresh raspberries, 2 T Poppy seeds or Sesame seeds, if desired
- Dressing Ingredients:
- ½ C Knudsen Sour cream
- ½ C Best foods mayonnaise
- 4 T Major Grey’s Chutney
- Combine salad mixture and dressing mixture one hour before serving.
- Add garnish just prior to serving.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce on a chilled plate.
- Cook’s Note: Also great on sandwiches. Use croissants that have been toasted golden brown on both sides under your oven broiler before adding the salad mixture.