I could eat these every day! These are so moist flavorful and wonderful as a snack, or for breakfast or brunch, but do try these flavor packed muffins while they last!
Honey Apple Walnut Muffins
These are so good for breakfast or snacks! Very moist and flavorful!
Author: Linda Davis
Recipe type: Muffin
Serves:: 12 muffins
- ⅓ C Extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ C Honey
- 3 Large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 C Applesauce, store-bought or homemade
- ¼ C 2% milk or almond milk
- 1 t Baking powder
- ½ t Baking soda
- 1 t Vanilla extract
- ½ t Fine Sea Salt
- ½ t Ground Cinnamon
- ½ t Ground ginger
- ¼ t Freshly ground Nutmeg
- ¼ t Ground Allspice
- 1¾ C Whole wheat pastry flour
- ⅓ C Old-fashioned oats
- ¼ C Honey
- 1 T Unsalted butter, melted
- ½ t Vanilla extract
- ⅛ t Fine sea salt
- 1 C Powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ C Toasted chopped Walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place paper cup liners in a muffin baking pan.
- Spray a bit of cooking spray on the bottom only of the paper cups.
- In a medium bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk.
- Add eggs, and beat well.
- Mix in the applesauce and milk, followed by the baking powder, baking soda, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice.
- Mix well with a large spoon.
- In another bowl, combine flour and oats, combining very well.
- Add the flour and oats to the wet ingredients bowl and mixing with a large spoon, just until nearly combined.
- Using a spring loaded scoop, divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups, filling until the peak of the batter nearly comes to the level of the top of the baking paper cups.
- Bake muffins for 23 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack, and cool for 20 minutes, then remove them from the tin.
- Melt butter and honey together in a small bowl, add vanilla extract and salt and whisk until well mixed. Add sifted powdered sugar and whisk again until very smooth. Drizzle over cooled muffins and immediately top with a sprinkle of walnuts to each muffin top.
- Alternate version:
- Almond Maple; Use almond extract instead of vanilla extract; for glaze: for half of the honey, substitute pure maple syrup instead.