The essential wrap formula! Just like a great sandwich, wraps have their necessary components to make an amazing meal. If you’d like to make sure your wraps are always top notch, it should have these important parts:
Wrap: Not necessarily a flour tortilla, try ones with whole grains, low carbs, made from cauliflower, high protein, or including nuts, seeds or vegetable puree. My favorite is “Flatout flat bread wraps multi-grain with flax”.
Spread: Instead of mayo or mustard, try a creamy nut, bean, or vegetable spread for more nutrition. Try this creamy cashew spread pictured below. For a spicier spread, make this Creamy Sriracha bean spread/dip. Or, to add more green vegetables, You might like the Cheesy Sweet Pea truffle spread.
Lettuce: How about spinach, baby kale or baby arrugula instead of iceburg lettuce.
Vegetables: any you like, raw, roasted or cooked. Left overs are great!
Multi-Grain: Rice, quinoa, or any left over grains you like, especially with bean spreads to make a complete protein.
Fresh herbs: Whatever you like or have available. Such as basil with tomatoes, thyme with carrots, or cilantro with beans. Parsley always works!
Seeds and/or nuts: Here’s a great opportunity to up the healthy unsaturated fat, vitamins and mineral content! I like chia seeds, ground flax, sunflower seeds, pepitas, chopped walnuts, pecans, and/or almonds.
Crunch: This can be from bean sprouts, nuts, seeds, cucumbers, sliced radishes, carrots, jicama, snap peas, broccoli, celery, or anything you like that’s fresh and healthy.
Here’s the recipe for a classic vegan wrap to inspire you, create vibrantly good health, or simply to satisfy your appetite…in a hurry!
- 1 wrap Multigrain, high-protein, low carbs
- 2-3 T Cashew "cheese" spread (or 1 T mayonnaise)
- ¼ C Fresh baby spinach
- ¼ C Whole cooked grains, or quinoa from leftovers
- 2 T Whole or coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 Tomato slices, thinly sliced
- ¼ C Shredded carrots
- ¼ C Bean sprouts
- ½ t Raw sunflower seeds
- pinch Chia seeds
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- To assemble wrap:
- Lay flat on a clean surface.
- Spread cashew spread thinly up to ½" of edges.
- Distribute spinach leaves evenly across surface.
- Distribute whole grains evenly.
- Sprinkle over fresh parsley.
- Add tomatoes, carrots and bean sprouts.
- Top with seeds, nuts, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Roll up and cut in half, or as desired.
- Click here for Creamy Cashew Spread.