Spectacular Rice Recipe You’ve Got to Cook in an Instant Pot!
This rice reminds me of the movie gone in sixty seconds, because everyone gobbles this up so fast! I love my Instant Pot for cooking this simple and flavor packed rice dish. Be sure to use brown rice for the benefits of whole grain. Otherwise this recipe will make mush out of white rice with its bran removed. Rice is always great as an accompaniment to good-for-you vegetables, but, with beans, it’s more beneficial health-wise because it offers much more protein.
Flavoring rice cooking tips:
You can flavor rice with hot sauce, enchilada sauce, or tomato sauce, too. Just like I did with this recipe using lime juice. The secret is to reduce the amount of water, to make sure your rice doesn’t turn out soggy. To add one cup of enchilada sauce, just reduce the amount of water by one cup also. Simple right?
Pressure cooking tip:
The reason you might want to add additional flavoring ingredients like onion, garlic, or sauce to rice you plan to cook in an electric pressure cooker, is because it infuses the flavors into the rice more thoroughly. But, when adding fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley, save that for the garnish because, it’s color goes from bright green to a sad gray-green when cooked. Even adding it to just cooked hot rice will do this. So add it as a garnish when serving, or let it cool, then mix through and serve immediately.
- 2 C Brown rice
- 2 C Water or ½ & ½ Salt-free vegetable stock and water
- ¼ C Lime juice, fresh squeezed only (about 1 large lime, or 4 small ones)
- 2 T Lime Zest
- 1 t Garlic powder, or to taste
- ½ t Kosher sea salt, or to taste
- 1 C Cilantro, finely chopped, lightly packed, to garnish
- Add rice, water, lime juice & zest, garlic powder, and salt to Instant Pot Cooker; making sure all stray grains of rice are covered in water.
- Close lid, position vent to seal (not venting), and set for 22 minutes pressure cooking.
- With warm up and cool down, this will take a total of about 45 minutes.
- Once beep sounds and turns to keep warm setting, unplug machine and leave undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- Carefully turn vent to unseal and let it release any pressure for about 1 minute.
- Open cooker and remove cooking liner with pot holders; it will be very hot.
- Let cool to warm, add cilantro, and fluff with a fork.
- Serve warm, or refrigerate for 2 days, or once completely cooled, freeze for up to 3 months in containers sized for one serving, or as needed.
You might like some other Instant Pot recipes. Or, this delicious Coconut brown rice recipe.