Plan for a Healthy Taco Beans and Rice Meal:
This is so easy, healthy, and delicious! It’s got plenty of protein, even without meat! This is the type of meal everyone wants to eat but, thinks it takes too long to prepare. Some days it feels that way to me. However, with some planning, you can pull this recipe together in about 15 minutes using canned beans and frozen rice and vegetables from your freezer and pantry. You can use this as a base of whole grain protein and serve plenty of seasonal cooked or raw vegetables with it. But, there’s a little more to this recipe.
Here’s a Helpful Cooking Hack I Use:
With a lot of help from vegetable stock, this will taste like you’ve spent hours preparing it. And, using everyday spices and herbs for homemade taco seasoning mix, you can’t go wrong. You can even save time by purchasing store-bought taco seasoning mix, but, it’s got so many preservatives, sugar, salt, and unneeded chemicals. I suggest you plan to make a big batch of this homemade taco seasoning mix, buying any necessary ingredients, you might need to keep stocked in your pantry. It seems everyone loves tacos, so you know you’ll definitely use it all up soon!
For Vegans or Vegetarians Who Love Tacos;
Keep this vegan friendly by serving in a bowl. Or, add taco shells or tortillas, grated cheddar cheese, chopped lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and avocados, for a healthy, clean eating meatless vegetarian taco version. Feel free to serve with your favorite salsa, too.
Taco Seasoning Recipe:
1 T Chili Powder
2 t Ground Cumin
2 t Kosher Sea Salt
1 t Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Smoked Paprika
½ t Onion Powder
½ t Dried Oregano
Combine ingredients into a small bowl and mix well.
Store leftovers in a small jar with a tightly fitting lid.
- 4 C Brown rice, cooked
- 1 15oz can Red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 12oz bag Steam of the Crop Brand Frozen Santa Fe Medley corn, black beans, onions, red & green peppers (or 2 cups of small diced vegetable leftovers, or fresh cooked)
- 1 ½ C Unsalted Vegetable stock, divided
- 2 t Homemade Taco seasoning mix (see recipe above)(use store-bought if you omit the salt below)
- ½ t Kosher salt, or to taste
- Garnish with tomatoes, chopped parsley or sliced green onions, if desired
- Cook and defrost rice and vegetable mix in microwave according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain kidney beans and place in a large bowl.
- Add cooked and heated rice and vegetables to the same bowl with the kidney beans and stir.
- Heat stock in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile measure out salt and taco seasoning mix and sprinkle into bowl with vegetable mixture.
- When stock is heated, reserve one half cup, and pour one cup of stock over vegetable mixture.
- Stir well to combine and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Serve immediately, or save for meals later in week, adding reserved broth as needed to moisten.
Need more whole grain recipes? Try this recipe for Quick Spinach, Cranberry Whole grain Pilaf. Or, see the recipe gallery.