The flavor profile of this quinoa recipe is savory, sweet and sour.
It has citrus, cranberries, green onions and walnuts: And, since there’s not as many fresh fruits available locally this time of year, I often resort to using canned or dried fruit. I know it’s not ideal but, it’s important to continue getting lots of fruit throughout the year. One way I do that is by taking inspiration from Thanksgiving.
What do vegans like best for Thanksgiving?
Everything but, the turkey, of course. One of my favorites is the cranberry orange sauce I make every year. That’s the flavor profile I used to create this stunningly delicious protein bowl. But, I know I’ll be making this year round because it’s not just good and healthy, it’s amazing!
How to flavor other whole grains:
The neutral flavors of quinoa and the fluffy texture make a great base of super nutritious whole grain superfood. But, you could use this same flavor profile with oatmeal, couscous, chia pudding, or granola, too. You get the idea!
- 1 C Quinoa
- 1 ½ C Water
- ½ t Kosher sea salt
- 1 T Everything but the bagel sesame seasoning blend (*see copycat mix recipe below)
- ½ C Dried sweetened cranberries
- ½ C Walnut pieces
- 1 15oz. can Geisha Mandarin Oranges, drained
- 1 Orange zested + 2 T juice (from half) + ½ sectioned
- 1 T Lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- 1 T Trader Joe's Everything but the bagel seasoning*
- 2 Green onions, sliced + more to garnish, if desired
- To garnish: ¼ C Dried Onion chips, ¼ C Sweetened cashews with sesame seeds, and/or orange slices (optional)
- *Mix together: 2 T White sesame seeds, 2 t Sea salt flakes, 1 T Dried minced garlic, 1 T Dried minced onion, 1 T Black sesame seeds, and 1 T Poppy seeds or, use link to “Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend with Sea Salt, Garlic and Onion”.
- In an Instant Pot, combine quinoa, water, salt and seasoning blend, and cook for 1 minute on pressure cook, with vent sealed. (This will take about 15 minutes to warm up, 1 minute to cook, and 10 minutes to cool; 26 minutes)
- When finished cooking (and timer will beep), unplug machine, do not allow further cooking on keep warm setting, rest for 10 minutes, then, carefully open vent to release pressure for 1 minute, or as needed.
- Remove lid and set aside.
- Carefully remove hot liner from pot, pour quinoa contents in a large bowl; fluff with a fork.
- Cool to warm, or room temperature.
- If making ahead, cool completely, cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- When ready to serve, add to bowl the rest of the ingredients, and gently stir.
- Garnish as desired.
Find Trader Joe’s “Everything but the bagel seasoning mix”.
See more recipes