Try this simple formula for healthy salads without recipes:
I love that salads give you infinite possibilities to combine nature’s bounty…any way you like! You can satisfy your appetite and get loads of nutrients you need everyday. Here’s some salad ingredients ideas to make it easier to compose great tasting salads in a flash!
- For tasty add-ins, start with leafy greens, fresh herbs and or cabbage of any kind as your base. Maybe half will be whole grain or lentil pasta.
- Then move on to fruits, especially berries and/or vegetables, cooked or raw.
- Next, consider olives, mushrooms, onions, or garlic.
- If you’re wanting a non-traditional salad, add cooked grains or legumes such as quinoa, faro, bulgur, lentils, garbanzo beans, (aka: chick peas), or other beans.
- You may want to add seeds, nuts, or spices next.
- Your garnish is an important part of any salad to give needed crunchiness or, accent for eye appeal.
- Your dressing can be simple or complex, but, it should always be homemade. A simple dressing takes less than 5 minutes to make and can last a week refrigerated.
Try this family favorite that combines many super foods and tastes great!
- 4 C Chopped kale
- 1 Sliced zucchini, peeled first if desired
- 2 C Orange grape tomatoes
- 1 C Canned, rinsed and drained Red kidney beans, or any other beans
- 1 Avocado, cut into 1" chunks
- Dried apricots (optional)
- 2 T Pepitas
- ½ C Feta cheese (optional)
- 1 T Everything but the bagel seasoning from Trader Joes
- ¼ C Sliced shallots
- ¼ C Lemon juice
- 1 T Lemon zest
- ¼ C Olive oil
- 1 t Grated garlic, 1-2 cloves
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Shake well to combine.
- In a large salad bowl combine first 3 salad ingredients and gently toss.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and and gently toss to combine.
- Top salad with avocado, kidney beans, apricots, pepitas, and feta cheese, if using.
- Serve immediately.
Check out my other healthy and delicious salads!