Here’s my time-saving secret to easy homemade tomato soup! This soup brings out the natural sweetness and subtle smokiness created by fire roasting organic tomatoes; that’s now been done for you in several canned tomato brands sold in grocery stores. That’s what makes this soup so quick and tasty. While you let it simmer, make grilled cheese sandwiches to go with it, and enjoy a classic favorite combination in less than 20 minutes.
Here’s a tip for making grilled cheese sandwiches. Very thinly coat outside of each bread slice with mayonnaise, before you put it in the skillet (mayo side down) on medium heat to brown and melt the cheese in between. It always comes out beautifully!
- 2 C Swanson Brand Vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz. can Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- ½ C Heavy Whipping Cream (omit for vegans)
- ½ t Dried Basil (optional)
- ¼ t Granulated sugar (optional)
- ¼ t Kosher sea salt (optional)
- 1 pinch Freshly ground black pepper (1/8 t)
- Garnish with thin slices of Parmesan Cheese and fresh basil leaves, optional
- Combine broth and tomatoes in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- When soup gently simmers, in about five minutes, stir in heavy cream, pepper, salt, sugar, basil, and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer gently 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- With an immersion blender, puree soup or place soup in blender to puree for a smoother and more velvety texture.
- Hold lid down and cover with kitchen towel before blending.
- Garnish as desired and serve hot.