A new spice mix takes these over the top! Ginger cookies are a wonderful cookie loaded with old fashioned flavors like molasses, which makes them nostalgic for a time when cookies would always be homemade, rarely store-bought. But, these cookies were the first food I thought of when I discovered a wonderful spice mix at a farmer’s market in Visalia, in the San Joaquin Valley of California. The mix is made nearby in a small town called Lemon Cove, but don’t let that fool you, the spices are made from a mix of 12 sensational ingredients and loaded with subtle, sweet and warm flavors including fennel pollen. It certainly elevates the humble ginger cookie to gourmet status. Anyone with a discerning palate will be wondering about these for days, just trying to identify the mysterious flavor undertones in these incredible cookies.
- ⅔ cup Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup light molasses
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp Pollen Ranch Divine Desserts Spice
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2¼ cups flour
- Large grain raw sugar to garnish, if desired
- Combine ingredients as given; stirring after each addition.
- Stir until well blended.
- Dough will be oily and should not be refrigerated before rolling.
- Form dough into balls and roll in sugar.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheets at 350 degrees for 10 minutes or until puffy and cracked on top. Do not overcook.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 3 minutes.
- Then, with a spatula, transfer cookies to a cooling rack to firm up and cool.
Divine Desserts Spice Blend from Pollen Ranch
This recipe is adapted from the original recipe provided on the website.