Light and Velvety, So Delicious and Easy!
This is a light and delicate soup that truly enhances all the flavors of the seasonal fall vegetables in it. But, it tastes like butternut squash at its very best. I like to cook this in advance, cool and freeze, then reheat in the microwave when needed. Feel free to double this recipe, then puree by batches in the blender.
Butternut Squash Soup freezes well:
So make plenty and tuck it away for some busy day with chilly weather. Just reheat and serve with some crusty French or sourdough bread which is wonderful served with this butternut squash soup.
How to Serve a Crowd with Butternut Squash Soup:
If you need to serve a lot of people, serving a soup course is an easy way to do it! This makes about 20 cups with the original recipe and serves 10, 2 cup servings. It’s perfect as a soup course or appetizer in small one cup serving sizes. That would serve 20 guests or make some left over to enjoy later.
Scroll over photo to save this on Pinterest!
- 3 T Unsalted butter
- 1 C Onion, peeled and finely diced (use a food processor for speed)
- 3 C or (2)16oz pkg. Butternut squash, peeled, halved, seeded and diced (or, 1 small)
- 1 C White Potato, diced into 1 inch chunks
- 3 C Chicken stock low-sodium Swanson’s
- 3 C Water
- 1 Clove garlic, peeled and diced
- ¼ t Fresh Thyme leaves
- 1 t Granulated sugar
- ¼ t Freshly Ground black pepper, optional
- ½ t Kosher sea salt, optional
- In a large pot over med-low heat, melt butter.
- Add onions and cook uncovered for 8 minutes, until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add rest of ingredients and stir.
- Increase heat to medium and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Remove from heat and cool for a couple minutes.
- Carefully pour hot liquid into blender, then with a towel held over lid, puree until smooth and velvety, in batches if necessary.
- Return soup to pot, if needed, add more water, a tablespoon at a time to thin if necessary.
Looking for more soup ideas? Try our Creamy Broccoli Carrot Soup.
Here’s some other recipes you might like in the recipe gallery.