How to make a kale lover out of you!
If you’re trying to like kale, this is the salad to try! This Blueberry Apple Kale Salad is deeeevine. I’ve used three quick and simple techniques that may make the difference to you, too; 1. Massage kale with salt and lemon juice. Which means, scrunch it up in your hand and release for about a minute. This, plus 5 or 10 minutes changes the texture and flavor to make it more agreeable. 2. Use a strong flavored dressing, vinegar or lemon heavy. 3. Try this nutty sweet, salty, and savory topping you can make in less than 10 minutes. I’m crazy for it!!! It just might be heaven sent…but, you can make it in your kitchen if you want.
- ¼ C Tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 T Dijon mustard (I use Maille brand original)
- 2 T Maple syrup
- 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ t Sea salt
- Almond crunch:
- ½ C Finely chopped raw almonds (process in a food processor)
- 2 t Soy sauce or reduce sodium soy sauce
- 1 t Maple syrup
- sea salt (optional: use with reduced sodium soy sauce if desired)
- 4 C Lacinto (or any) kale leaves, remove stems and chopped small
- 1 Green apple, cored and thinly sliced (red is fine in a pinch)
- ½ C fresh blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 325F dgrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Process until fine, the almonds, then place in a medium bowl with the rest of the almond crunch ingredients and mix well.
- Spread out evenly on the prepared baking sheet and toast in the middle of the oven for about 7 minutes, or until slightly brown and golden.
- Remove from oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large salad bowl, combine the kale, apples and blueberries.
- Drizzle on dressing, toss and garnish with almond crunch mixture.
Would you like to try another fantastic kale salad recipe? Try this Grapefruit Kale salad.