Comfort Food for cold weather!
Enjoy this hot & heavenly, Apple Cinnamon Walnut Compote over oatmeal, or any type of hot porridge you prefer. You can make a big batch of it to last all week, or freeze to reheat for when you want some soothing and delicious hot breakfast. It’s simple to make and takes about 30 minutes to create, and only 1-2 minutes to reheat.
You might also like this Apple Compote Instant Pot version for hands free cooking.
- 6 Apples, peeled, cored, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 C Water or fruit juice such as cherry, cranberry, apple, or pomegranate
- 1 T Fresh lemon juice
- 1 T Agave nectar
- ½ t Ground cinnamon
- ½ t Vanilla extract
- ¼ C Toasted walnuts, or unsalted nuts of any kind, if desired
- Optional: ½ C Dried fruit, such as cherries, raisins, cranberries
- In a medium saucepan over med-high heat, add chopped apples, water and/or juice, agave nectar, cinnamon, and dried fruits, if using.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then, reduce heat to med-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally.
- After about 15 minutes, the apples will have softened, the dried fruit has plumped, and the water and/or fruit juice will have concentrated and been lightly absorbed by the apples.
- The texture should ultimately be tender but firm, taking into account later reheating.
- Serve warm as a dessert, or, over hot cereal or porridge for breakfast.
- Garnish with toasted walnuts and serve.