The Ultimate Autumn Fruit and Veggie Salad.
This recipe combines the best of the season with a sweet and savory mix of flavors. The tangy citrus vinaigrette highlights the fresh and delicious taste of this energizing and good for you meal. You’ll love how the microgreens complement the baby greens mix of lettuce, but, it’s the orange, pomegranate seeds, and kiwi that add an unexpected explosion of flavor. This is tempered by the green onions, shallots and cucumbers that provide the just right savory balance.
Here’s What Else to Serve with It
For vegans and vegetarians, feel free to add unsalted, chopped walnuts or pecans or chopped avocado for a bit of healthy fat that makes absorbing these nutrients more effectively done. For everyone else, add the nuts or avocado, if you want. But, this is also fantastic served with pan seared salmon or mild fish, baked chicken breasts, or sliced roast pork tenderloin, to accompany this delicious salad. A vegetable side dish, such as roasted green beans and mushrooms, would make this an exceptional meal. Don’t forget a crisp Sauvignon blanc, Rose or Pinot noir wine which would be delicious if you’d like wine as well.
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 2 t Shallot, finely minced
- 1 T Lemon juice and ¼ t zest (about ½ lemon)
- 2 T Orange juice and ½ t zest (about ¼ orange)
- 1 T White or golden balsamic vinegar, or champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ¼ C Olive oil
- 1 T Honey or agave nectar
- 1 t Chia seeds
- Pinch Kosher sea salt, or to taste
- ½ pinch Freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- Salad Ingredients:
- 4 C Spring mix baby lettuces and baby spinach, very loosely packed
- 4 4oz containers Mandarin orange slices, drained
- ½ C Cucumber, peeled, sliced
- 4 Kiwi, peeled, sliced, quartered
- 2 Green onions, trimmed, sliced
- ½ C Pomegranate (arils) seeds, to garnish if desired (about 1 pomegranate)
- ½ C Mixed Microgreens (I used radish, pea shoots)
- For dressing-
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Shake to combine.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to a week; can be made in advance.
- For Salad-
- Combine all salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing to lightly coat lettuces.
- Gently toss and serve.
Would you like to see other salad recipes?