You’ve Got to Try This!
This was the most popular dish at a small office Christmas party potluck lunch! I was thinking there were only three vegetarians who might like it. It turned out; this was the dish everyone wanted to try! The bright colors are so inviting, and the dressing is so bright, sweet, and tangy tasting, you’ll love it too! In fact, I’ll bet you won’t even notice that there’s no mayo in it, as there is in a traditional coleslaw salad.
Need Another option?
If your family won’t let you get away from adding mayo, start with two tablespoons and add more to the dressing if you have to. Otherwise, congratulate yourself on clean eating and have another helping! If you’re pressed for time, just buy the ingredients already seeded, separated and shredded from the grocery store, but, take the five minutes to make the salad dressing. It really makes the salad!
Doesn’t Every Coleslaw Have Mayonnaise?
With a medley of saturated, mono, and trans fats, mayonnaise is yummy but not healthy. It’s a real killer when it comes to heart health. It’s also high in calories (95 cal per tbsp!) and it’s loaded with cholesterol and sodium, which makes it bad news for hypertension as well. Mayonnaise made with unpasteurized eggs can put you at risk of salmonella and is not advisable during pregnancy either. Also, let’s not forget it has artificial emulsifiers, preservatives, and other additives, too. This recipe doesn’t have the creaminess or mayonnaise but, it’s loaded with flavor! Try it without the mayo this time…
- ½ white cabbage, finely sliced (or, 4 cups)
- ½ red cabbage, finely sliced (or, 4 cups)
- 2 large carrots, grated (or, 2 cups)
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced + extra for garnish
- 8 tangerines, segmented (or, 2 cups)
- 2-3 pomegranates, seeded (or, 1 cup) + extra to garnish
- 1 C Dried fruit, such as goji berries, raisins, or blueberries
- ½ C Unsalted Pepitas, sunflower seeds, or other unsalted nuts
- Dressing ingredients:
- 8 T Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 T Apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar, or lemon juice)
- 2 T Agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup
- 2 t Maille Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ t Sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 t black pepper (or to taste)
- Combine the vegetables, tangerines, pomegranate seeds, fruits and nuts, and set aside.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a mason jar, screw on the lid tightly, and shake until thoroughly combined.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Drizzle on the dressing and toss gently.
- Garnish with the reserved pomegranate seeds and green onions.
- Serve immediately.
You might like these other salads…