How Detox Drinks Work; Recipes and Store-bought Teas Listed:
Detoxifying drinks have been used for centuries! However, no one food or detox drink can truly detoxify your body. Detox drinks or teas can only be medicinal and detoxifying if your diet isn’t already taxing your system. So, in order to detoxify your body, cut processed and fried foods, and up your intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and anti-inflammatory fats like avocados and almonds. But, detox drinks and teas can help, and can be taken with healthy foods one to three times per day, up to a few days at a time, as long as you aren’t sensitive to too much caffeine. Or, better yet, incorporate a little detoxifying tea or drink into your everyday diet.
Some of the natural supplements that are known to help the detoxifying process are herbs like lemongrass, ginger, dandelion, and milk thistle; because all contain properties said to support a healthy liver, one of those organs in charge of your natural detoxifying process. Ginger has also been proven to alleviate oxidative stress within the liver, which indirectly helps the organ perform its cleaning task more efficiently.
Try These Store-bought Detox Drinks
Some of the store-bought detox drinks and teas are good at different times of the day. For instance, Celestial Seasoning’s Sleepytime Decaf Lemon Jasmine Green Tea, with chamomile and mint can calm the system, with a cup before bed. Plus, its’ high vitamin C content means it’s loaded with antioxidants. In another case, to help wake you up in the morning, Twining’s Lemon & Ginger tea is a revitalizing tea that’s great because its’ lightly caffeinated effect will wake you up without wreaking chaos on your stomach. Plus in a 2011 Columbia University study, people who drank hot ginger teas felt fuller after a meal and reported less cravings later.
Here are some simple and easy detox drinks you can make at home:
One of my favorites is by Angela Liddon of OhSheGlows.com for:
Hot Detox Tonic
Yield: 2 cups Soak time: 7-8 minutes Prep Time:
- 1 ginger tea bag or 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger*
- 2 cups boiling water
- Few dashes cinnamon, to taste**
- Few dashes ground turmeric, to taste
- Few dashes cayenne pepper, to taste (use less if you don’t like heat)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 small lemon slice
- Pure maple syrup, to taste (I use 1 teaspoon)
- Grab an extra large mug or a small teapot (3-cup capacity). Place ginger tea bag inside.
- Boil 2 cups of water and pour all the water into the mug/teapot. Cover and steep the ginger tea for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Remove tea bag. Set aside the tea bag to cool. Once the tea bag has cooled a bit you can gently squeeze it into the pot to infuse the tea with even more ginger flavour.
- Add the cinnamon, turmeric, and cayenne. Whisk until combined.
- Add the vinegar and drop in the lemon wedge. Whisk to infuse the lemon.
- Add maple syrup to taste, and whisk to combine.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- * For the fresh ginger version: Pop the fresh grated ginger into a tea ball or mesh tea steeper, and steep tea for about 6 to 7 minutes. Proceed as usual.
- ** The spices tend to settle at the bottom of the mug/pot. Simply whisk it now and then to redistribute.
Dr. Oz recommends this Kale, Pineapple and Ginger Detox Drink on his website, Droz.com. It say’s, “This purifying beverage contains kale to cleanse the kidneys; pineapple, which has bromelain to aid digestion; and ginger to help stimulate bile flow in your gall bladder.”
Kale, Pineapple and Ginger Detox Drink Recipe by DoctorOz.com (Juicer required)
1/2 cup pineapple
2 large cucumbers (peeled if waxed)
1 bunch kale without stems (4 cups chopped)
1/2 lemon, squeezed (about 1 T)
1/4 inch of ginger (peeled)
1 bunch of mint (1/2 cup)
Directions: Juice all ingredients and drink immediately.
If you don’t have a juicer to make the previous drink, mix up this easy detox concoction with ready-made juices and cut with water.
Pineapple, Lemon and Pomegranate Blend-Free Detox Drink Recipe by DoctorOz.com
¾ C Unsweetened pineapple juice
1 lemon, squeezed for juice (about 2 tablespoons)
1 C Unsweetened pomegranate juice
3 C Water (hot or chilled)
Directions: Combine all ingredients and drink.
Other recommendations on the DoctorOz.com website for detoxifying include:
- No Eating After 7 p.m.
- Take an Epsom Salt Bath: This therapeutic bath will help you sweat out toxins and also contains magnesium to relax your muscles as well.
- 2 C Hot water
- 1 T Apple cider vinegar with "mother"
- 1 T Honey, agave nectar, or maple syrup, optional
- pinch of ground cinnamon, optional
- Dilute a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a full glass of hot water.
- Note: Drink this first thing in the morning. You may consider adding honey, maple syrup or other healthy alternatives to refined sugar, for a bit of sweetness. Also, add cinnamon so you get the health benefits of cinnamon too, with this drink. Drink this mixture at least three days a week. It aids in weight loss, improving digestion, regulating sugar for diabetic people and maintaining overall fitness.
Get detoxed today!
Submit your review