You’ll Want to Try this Fruit Salad!
It’s a super-simple but, very delicious, apple raspberry spinach salad. It’s that time of year when apples are freshly harvested that I look forward to discovering new varieties of apples from the u-pick orchards, grocery store, or the farmer’s market. There are different types of apples for cooking and baking, but, these are perfect for a crisp salad. I used to dread coring apples until I started using an apple corer. I wouldn’t want to be without it!
A Good Apple for Salads:
I usually use Gala or Fuji apples for sweet salads, but, this year I tried Honeycrisp, and fell in love with apples all over again. It’s aptly named! The Granny Smith apple is wonderful for a sweet tart flavor which would be so delicious with this sweet dressing.
Here are 12 varieties of apples that are great just for eating raw, for this salad, and of course, for keeping the doctor away:
- Golden Delicious
- Granny Smith
- 5 C Baby spinach leaves, washed, stemmed
- 2 C Red or green cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced
- ½ C Fresh raspberries
- ½ C Pecan halves
- Raspberry Vinaigrette:
- 1⁄4 C Olive oil
- 2 T Allessi Raspberry White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 T Honey
- Garnish with ground cinnamon, if desired
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cabbage, apple slices, raspberry and almonds.
- Toss well to combine.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a jar or other container with a lid.
- Shake the container vigorously until dressing is well combined.
- When ready to eat, toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.
- Cook’s Tip: If making in advance, briefly place apple slices into a medium bowl of cold water and 1 T fresh lemon juice. The apples won’t oxidize and turn brown, if you include this step.
In the mood for another type of salad? Try these salad recipes.